Friday, April 8, 2011

Students who don't participate in classroom activities

Encouraging students to work on a subject that have little interest in is difficult. However, perhaps it is not a lack of interest that the student really is experiencing - I believe all of us can be interested in any form of knowledge, we simply need to be in the right frame of mind -- but instead of a lack of interest the study may be focused on experiences in their life outside of your classroom. The student may also have told by other teachers, or their parents that their efforts are hopeless because its "too late for them to pass".

Something I would like to mention quickly - a lot of the things I am writing about are not necessarily things that I experience in my own classroom - they sometimes are, or they are things I've observed in other classrooms, things i've experienced in my past, information gathered through discussions, or other observations throughout my daily experience.

So back to student participation, I did a little thinking and research and have found a couple practices we can do to increase participation in classwork.
1) Encouragement and rewarding participation from other students.
2) Call on the student when you are sure they will be able to answer correctly.
3) Demonstrate respect for the student's opinions
4) Structure the environment so that the student has multiple opportunities to positively interact with peers in classroom activities.
5) Make sure the student is clear on expectations and has all of the necessary materials.

What are some things that you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment